Saturday, October 10, 2015

Getting Rid of My Junk/Treasures





I always love this time of year. October is a great month. Most days, the outside temperature is finally cooler, and it’s nice to be out of the house. The grass has stopped growing so there’s minimal yard work. The green leaves are turning all shades of orange, red and yellow.







I’d have to say that fall is my favorite season.

With the cooler weather here for a few days, my family and I decided to have a yard sale. I have been obsessed with cleaning since I retired. All the miscellaneous items I had thrown in the attic, the under-stair closet, the junk drawers, and the garage were closing in on me. I had to get it out!

I hate having yard sales because I never make any money. I spend weeks dragging items to the garage, deciding what’s to go and what’s to stay, asking my family if they will ever use this item, etc. I've heard of people making hundreds of dollars selling their junk, but I never have, so this time I didn’t even think of the money. My goal was to get the junk/treasures out of my house. Therefore, I sold things that cost me a small fortune for a little of nothing.  For example, a small, new Dooney & Burke bag that I paid over $100 for went for $1.00. I had given it to my daughter as a Christmas gift four years ago, and she had never used it. I had held onto it waiting for her to realize that my taste was better than hers, but alas, I finally gave up.

At my sale, whatever price people offered became the selling price.

My granddaughter made $6.00 selling 

doughnuts and lemonade that cost 
me twice that to buy.
Before the sale began, my daughter helped

place our treasures on makeshift tables.

I really enjoyed talking to potential customers, many of whom had really interesting stories. Some of my treasures brought back memories of items they had once owned that were similar or they told of why they were buying a certain item from me. I heard many tales of what careers people had and of their families. I also got to meet several neighbors who stopped by while on their morning walk.

My sale was from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m., and I made a grand total of $157.27. 
Click here to find out about City Walk
At 11:15 a.m., we loaded the leftovers into my husband’s truck and took them to the City Walk Mission Thrift Store. This business supplies food, clothing, etc. to the homeless in the community. I got a tax write-off, and they were happy to get my remaining treasures.

Now I can actually walk into my walk-in attic, my garage shelves are organized, and there’s no more junk in my junk drawers. I vow to keep everything this way, but I’m living with four other people. 

I’m not so sure they will accept the challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment