Saturday, September 5, 2020

Week One -- DONE!

Week one is done!

Many tears were shed by teachers and students alike. Even I cried, and I don’t cry often.  I’ve got good medication. I didn’t cry in front of the students, so I guess that’s a win.


Finally Friday! What a week!



I always say that a teacher has basically three jobs – plan, teach, grade.  I have always been able to do two of the three at once. Rarely do I get all three in sync, but when it does happen, all is right with the world. Over 39 years, I’ve gotten my course curriculum planned to perfection. I give my students a syllabus for the entire semester with due dates, test dates, etc. I am so proud of that calendar. I have also been in front of a class so long that my delivery of material is spot-on. I tell the same stories and crack the same jokes. Grading always slowed the process.  I never look forward to spending my weekend grading and commenting on 100 essays on the same topic. But I do it.

This year, I would love to have the old 3-part job back. Now instead of three things a teacher has to do, there are at least 4 more. Now I watch the face-to-face (f2f) kids and interact with them, making sure they are paying attention to my all-important lesson. At the same time, I watch the Zoomers to make sure they are doing the same thing and not back in bed asleep while holding their phone. To get to this point with the Zoomers, I’ve had to connect a laptop to the TV because there’s no microphone on my desktop computer. I can screen share with Zoomers, but I can’t manipulate the TV screen (write on the TV) because the software isn’t on the laptop.

Zoomers can unmute if they have a question, but otherwise they are silent. Admin had an idea to wear earbuds so I can hear the Zoomers and talk to them all while hearing and talking to the f2f kids. The earbuds they said to buy didn’t work with the laptop they provided, but goodness, I already have too many voices in my head. I can’t add more. 


A
fter one week, I saw few successes and oh so many failures. I try to be the best in front of my students if for no other reason than for them not to roll their eyes or laugh at me. No
w I have to worry that they are recording me and sharing on social media. 

Many times this week, I asked myself why I was doing this again. I can survive without the part-time paycheck. I don’t need the insurance thanks to my late husband and the VA. I don’t need retirement benefits because I already have them. So why am I back in the classroom? It comes down to commitment. I made one to my principal and my coworkers. Now that I have been with them for a week, I am committed to my students. On day one, I assured them that even though things were very different, I am committed to getting them through this year so they get the high school and college credits they need. I emphasized that we are a team, that they chose to be in this class; therefore, they have to stay “in it to win it” as good coaches say. We have to do what is best for our team/class by staying in touch with me and staying healthy.

This year is going to require so much of teachers. You have no idea. Actually, I have no idea either. I’m just rolling on, one day at a time, trying to get a handle on all these many new parts of being a teacher.



Two ways to lessen stress -- Chick-fil-a peach milkshake and playing with a puppy!





1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the experience as a teacher with the technology. My son is there in person and says some of the same things you said. I call it "simulcast" teaching (like the simulcast racing parlors)... hee hee. Keep working at it! Whether everyone likes it or not, I think virtual teaching will become more common, even if there wasn't COVID. I've seen big growth in online tutoring. Like the expression goes - Adapt and Overcome!! You and other teachers are doing a great job. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete