Tuesday, April 17, 2018

My Transformation

trans·for·ma·tion: 
a thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance


Several people have told me over the past few months that they miss reading my posts. Last weekend, a relative actually asked to take a picture with me so she could share with her friends who read Pass the Honey. I was more than surprised; I felt like  a celebrity! I also felt a little guilty that I hadn't been delivering the goods to my adoring public. It's just like waiting for the next album by your favorite artist to drop or the next book by your favorite author to hit the bookstore shelves. (Picture my giant ego here. 😁)




Two years ago, I wrote about my healthy lifestyle commitment with Weight Watchers (here). At that point, I had lost 21 pounds by following the plan, tracking points and walking every day. In October 2016, I started working out with a trainer once a week to build strength and muscle. Since then, I have continued in the same manner and have lost 62 pounds. 


April 5, 2015 and April 5, 2018


In the fall of 2017, I became complacent. School/work started back, and I was teaching an additional class. I didn't think it would be much different from the previous year, but one more class of college essays takes more than just one extra hour a day. I earned more money, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra time. I stopped walking as much and didn't take the time to prep meals. I was bored with my workout routine and needed to do something different. I told myself that I was satisfied, not complacent, but I was lying to myself. A healthy lifestyle is a mind game, and I didn't want complacency to win. I needed a challenge.

In January 2018, I added more training time. I worked out with the trainer twice a week for 30 minutes each. I also attended boot camp three times a week for an hour each session. I began tracking things other than food, like flights of stairs climbed and active minutes each day. 

I also started measuring my waist, hips, thighs, calves, and arms on the last Sunday of each month. When I first started my healthy lifestyle journey, I didn't take "before" pictures or measurements. I didn't see the need because I had failed so many times in the past. I didn't want another record of my failure. The present Weight Watchers program is all about non-scale victories -- other ways to record successes. 

Since January, I have lost a total of 17.5 inches. 

  • waist: -2
  • hips: -4
  • thighs: -3.5 each so -7 total
  • arms: -1.25 each so -2.5 total
  • calves: -1 each so -2 total

I feel wonderful, and it's not just about the weight loss. I love being strong! Last week, I wore a short sleeve shirt to school, and one of my students said my biceps looked swole. That's a compliment, by the way.


Family fitness day is boot camp after church.
Before my recent lifestyle change, I was always the person taking the pictures instead of being in them and the person sitting in the bleachers instead of playing the game. Now, I don't automatically move to the back row in pictures and am eager to participate in activities I always avoided. 

There's an AA saying that applies to almost anything in life: "In order to keep it, you have to give it away." I thought about that saying when I started this post. I'm sharing my healthy lifestyle story with you because I want to keep it -- FOREVER. 

I failed so many times in the past because I wanted to do things my way and I wanted fast results. I had so many excuses as to why I couldn't change -- expensive, no time to spare, cooking for others. Now, I take my time and my money to do what it takes to keep me healthy and I hope, living longer.


If I can do it, anyone can do it.




April 7, 2018 with my handsome son, Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment