Saturday, March 22, 2014

My Friend, the Entrepreneur

I am so proud of my high school friend, Peggy Sutton, for following her passion for healthy eating to establish a very successful business, To Your Health Sprouted Flour. 

I recently toured her facility in Bullock County, Alabama. Wow! The facility is impressive, but the product is amazing. Here's the link to her website:   http://www.organicsproutedflour.net/

On the website, you can find out all about sprouted flour, how it's made, the benefits of using it, and on and on. At the facility, they process sprouted wheat as well as gluten-free flour. There's even a video tour of the facility on the website showing how they manufacture the flour. Peggy and her husband Jeff designed much of the equipment through trial and error and have made this business into an extremely profitable one. Peggy told me that she started out using Mason jars and 5-gallon buckets. Now they process thousands of pounds each week and ship all over the US and Canada. There's even an order going to London this year. 

I used the flour this week to make brownies. Now, I can't really compare these brownies to the ones I usually bake because those come out of a box. I will tell you that my sprouted wheat brownies were more cake-like but that could be because of the recipe I used -- Super Easy Sprouted Flour Cocoa Brownies:


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup Sucanat (I used sugar because I had never heard of Sucanat until I saw this recipe.)
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, beaten in separate bowl

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Melt butter over low heat. Pour into a medium bowl and allow to cool a few minutes while you beat eggs separately in a small bowl.
  3. Stir Sucanat (sugar) into melted butter, followed by flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, and eggs. Mix just to combine.
  4. Pour into buttered 8x8-inch pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. For a fudgier brownie, keep the baking time at the lower end of the range.


Here's what my brownies looked like:


I'll keep you updated on my future use of this flour as well as my friend, the entrepreneur.



No comments:

Post a Comment